Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Comparison Analysis 1: Modest Mouse

Depending on what song or album the listener/reviewer has heard, BBH gets compared to several bands frequently. The Stone Cold Blue album inevitably brings about TMBG and Devo references. I worship TMBG and only know "Whip It," "Satisfaction" and "Girl You Want" from Devo. Further investigation sorely needed.

"All the Mother" and other songs' reviews have brought about on more than one occasion comparisons to Modest Mouse. When Paul was in the band, he worked at The Wall for a bit. He would often bring back to the place in West Chester promos that were always worth checking out. If they had made their way to retail, then serious backing was involved, and if Paul digged it, I figured I might, too. so he brought back a Modest Mouse cd, and after looking at theit Yahoo Music Unlimited offerings last night, I assume it musta been The Fruit That Ate Itself
I remember after a 1 or several listens coming away with the impressions that definite catchy things were happening, there was a likable southern accent. a guy with a reasonably high voice, a good brand of humor, classic rock bent, and strong strong obvious Pavement influence.
Yeah. Definite strong Pavementesquiness, im late nineties o. Enough for me to be disturbed. Too slavishly imitative of a single pioneer, I concluded, and not yet individuated.

So as Mach 2 bbh disintegrated I got less and less into the general indie primarily gtr-based rock scene with the sole exception of Frank Black and the Catholics, more into very early synth stuff like Silver Apples, real jazz, where I discovered my ultimate hero is Monk, and, above all, Canterbury scene. I put in a good effort to remain aware of indie rock by listening to local npr affiliate wxpn, tuning into Conan and even MTV2 now and then. I think it was on the latter and on xpn where i cauht Modest Mouse's huge bustout onto the mainstream, "Float On." I heard th song a lot, paid attention to it, and was convinced they had indeed individuated, were no longer blending classic rock with a fixation on one contemporary pioneer. Sounded to me like they were throwing in some Talking Heads with a tried and true guitar hook thing, with some other truly original element that I still haven't pinpointed. It might be 'well defined personality."

Now that I've subscribed to a download subscription service, unbelievable music exploration is possible, and one avenue is to catch up and refamiliarize myself with the inde rock world's present and past.

I listened to Good News for People Who Love Bad News last night once. My first impression: it is good. Many funny moments with remarkable vocal performances. Overuse of multitracked lead vocals, especially when rhythms are not tight. I have been guilty of this too. Even though it is mixed to try and convince you this is ensemblework, instruments take a back seat because they rarely do anything more interesting than what the vocalist does. He is at his best by far when delivering desperate character monologues ('bury me with it', 'the view'.) He could stand to hit the notes more often than to yell them offpitch as much as he does. I have been guilty of this too, but have improved, I think, because hitting the notes does not sound as irritatingly Broadway as I always feard. I comment on his work as if he is a noname gb.com artist whereas he is actual rockstar and I am not. Opinion is opinion.
On first listen, 'The View' is my favorite album cut, and I will gladly check out their newer and older stuff, in time. For now, more Monk and Allen!!

And I do believe that mentions of Modest Mouse in reviews of "All the Mother" are warranted.

No comments: