Thursday, August 9, 2007

'Some You' Nearly Completed

Mike and I scheduled a short-notice session for yesterday at which I hoped to possibly complete what is expected of us to complete for 2 songs. But we had just four hours to work with so I knew a more reasonable expectation was that I would complete vocals, gtr, and editing drums on 'Some You.'

The bulk of the session was spent doing the vocals. Mike is great at coaxing the best possible performance out of a good singer with many good ideas. I did an initial 3 takes of the lead vox of the entire song. We listened to each section, each take in turn, and chose the best of each one. We agreed many were usable. For each section that did not have a usable take, I resang, with Mike's coaching, till I got it just right. We did this most intensively for the ending, which anyone who heard the demo would say had to be done just right. And I believe a very good rendition was nailed.

I did stick to the well-worded advice of Moses. I focussed my approach.

At some point I will have more to say about what my original point for this song was, and how I altered it after hearing advice from two very good married friends, one who was just writing lyrics to a song 12 years prior, and the other who might have really thought he was just coaching a vocal performance/ co-producing a record.

Then I did all the background vocals, combining what stuck out in my mind from my demo with on-the-fly attempts and Mike's suggestions and feedback.


The entire process was much more organized and yielded a better result than the haphazard approach I have been taking when recording at home. And simply more fun. Creative input from others is a good thing. Music making should be a communal event - in many to most cases. I still see one man band projects in my future.

After this 3 hour process of doing vocals I laid down a couple very very simple and totally unflashy gtr lines. Thanks to the tia, this took 45 minutes.

Mike performed the 2 minor edits I requested, which were merely the removal of two two-bar drumkit phrases at :04 and 1:10, to be replaced by original or royalty-free sampled breakbeats at some point.

And then we just need the horn section to come in. I have been assured that that will soon be scheduled to happen in a few weeks. Then all the files will be sent to fla for Kramer to mix and master, and you will hear the results in December or January or thereabouts.

No comments: