Monday, July 30, 2007

Neddy, Echo, Shot, and me

One of the song's I'm putting on _Fear of People_ is called "Neddy, Echo, Shot, and me (Annihilation, pt. 2)".

It is directly inspired by the novel "Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey" by Chuck Palahniuk, which is a frigging great read. About four different times I thought I had this book pegged, and happily each time I was wrong.

I bought it not having ever read Palahniuk before; it wasn't until I had the book home that I realized, "Oh, this is the guy who wrote 'Fight Club', the one that they made into that Brad Pitt movie". I bought it not because it was a Palahniuk novel (though I'll buy anything this guy does from now on, and have already read "Invisible Monsters"), but because it looked sufficiently and correctly weird, and because the title seemed to draw up images of Beat writing (another song I wrote, called "Tio Male", which I haven't decided should be on _Fear of People_, was inspired by a short story by William S. Burroughs).

Though I've written a song based on one of his novels, I think that'll be the extent of my demonstration of my admiration for his work. I do not plan on having Mr. Palahniuk's signature tattooed anywhere on my person, nor will I be moving out to the Pacific Northwest to be near him; two things that a sizable number of his fans have apparently done.

No comments: