Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Will it Stick This Time?

As part of my multi-pronged approach toward promoting and publicizing 'Less Like Penguins', as well as the other 2 re-issues, I am submitting several songs into the contest on garageband.com. I have been using the site for 9 years and in the first 6 years I completed so many review pairs that I now can still enter 60 songs into the contest.

Right now, 'Fairuza' is in the process and getting some really nice, positive reviews. Its current rating is 4.4 stars out of 5.

But I've been through this before. Usually what happens is the rating will continue to go up, peaking in the mid to high 4s, based on feedback from truly insightful people. Then, in its closing days, the song will receive a slew of reviews from a bunch of newbies who can barely string more than 3 sentences together, and the song's rating will be knocked down to the mid 3s.

I still use the site not to try and win the contest but to reach those rare souls who get what we're about the instant they hear a song. There really are such folk out there.

I have seen no evidence that the site ever leads to song or album sales. Not for a 3 and a fraction band like Bernie Bernie Headflap.

No comments: